Money is what people use to buy things. People spend money on goods and services. People earn money by performing services. They also earn money from investments, including government bonds, and from saving accounts.
Money can be anything that people agree to accept in exchange for the things they sell or the work they do.
Today, most nations use metal coins and paper bills. A person can change his money of any country according to the exchange rate. Usually, such rates are set by the central banks of a country. The value of a country’s currency may change.
People save money in banks for future use. A man probably will not want to spend all his pay the day he receives it. So he may decide to put some of his money in a bank for safekeeping. The money he puts in the bank is called a deposit. This money is credited, or added, to his account.
When the depositor wants to withdraw, or take out, part of his deposit, the bank must be ready to pay him.
Bank use the money of depositors for loans to those who need funds. The bank that makes the loan is called a lender or creditor. The bank charges the debtor interest for the use of the loan.
Charging interest for the use of money is the chief source of bank income.
II. Give English equivalents of:
1. Заработать деньги
2. Устанавливать курс
3. Копить деньги
4. Быть готовым заплатить
5. Доход банка
III. Give Russian equivalents of:
1. According to
2. Savings accounts
3. In exchange for
4. To make the loan
5. To charge interest
IV. Put the verbs in brackets into correct tense:
1. If you ….. (see) Tom today, ask him to call me tomorrow.
2. What ….. (do) you, if you have a high temperature?
3. If my dog ….. (be) ill, I’ll take it to a vet.
4. What will you do if she ….. (not be) at home?
5. If I ….. (be) hungry, I’ll find something in the fridge.
V. Write Type 2 conditionals to match these situations:
1. He is so tired. He works so much.
2. Mary is short-sighted. She reads so much.
3. I can’t give you a lift. I don’t have a car.
4. We won’t have a holiday. We haven’t got any money.
5. I don’t know the answer. I can’t tell you.
VI. Translate the given sentences. Mind the First, the Second and the Third Conditionals.
1. It will be very hot in here if we close the window.
2. I will lend you the money on condition that you return it in a month.
3. He would not have been late then if he had not missed his train.
4. He won’t translate the article unless a special dictionary.
5. If the manager were not busy at present, he would talk with you.
VII. Translate the given sentences into English.
1. Если бы вы знали лучше грамматику, вы бы не делали столько ошибок в ваших упражнениях.
2. Я подожду его, если его не будет дома, когда я приду.
3. Если бы я не был так занят вчера, я поехал бы на вокзал проводить его.
4. Я был бы Вам очень благодарен, если бы Вы смогли уделить мне несколько минут.
5. Мы приедем туда в 8 часов утра, если поезд не опоздает.
VIII. Translate modal verbs or their equivalents into English.
1. You (должны) go there at once in order not to be late.
2. His mood (может) change at any time.
3. He (смог) buy this book last month.
4. They (должны были) to pass three exams to enter the University.
5. She (сможет) to use these experiments in her work.
IX. Translate the following sentences into Russian. Mind the Modal Verbs.
1. They must have been informed of it a few days ago.
2. It might not have happened if you had been careful.
3. He can’t have left without telling me about it.
4. She ought to have done it yesterday.
5. He should have helped them.
X. Translate the following sentences into English.
1. Может быть, он и вернулся в город, но я его еще не видел.
2. Он очень бледен. Он, вероятно, очень устал.
3. Эта книга, должно быть, написана в прошлом веке.
4. Он сказал мне, что я могу приходить сюда в любое время.
5. Если бы все меры были приняты, этого могло бы не произойти.
XI. Choose the proper form. Rewrite the sentences and translate them.
Model: She said that they _________ in Oxford. a) lived b) lives c) will live
Дата: 2019-02-25, просмотров: 166.