1. The soil is prepared.
2. The seeds ____.
3. The berries ____ by hand.
4. They ____ to a factory.
5. They ____ in the sun.
6. They ____ by hand.
7. They ____ all over the world.
8. They ____ in ovens at the factory.
9. The coffee ____ in the shops.
10. It ____ in offices and homes everywhere.
1.3 Complete these sentences in the passive using is, are, was or were and a word from the box:
cut, taught, locked, sent, explained, killed, given, built, driven
1. His father was killed in the war.
2. The grass is never cut in the winter.
3. When ____ these houses ____?
4. You can't go into the school. The gates ____ always ____ at 4.30.
5. ____ these potatoes ____ in your garden?
6. I ____ a beautiful gold watch.
7. We take the bus to work during the week so the car ____ only ____ at weekends.
8. The problem ____ to us very clearly.
9. This letter ____ never ____.
10. Children ____ not ____ any languages at primary school now.
1.4 Rewrite these sentences, putting the verbs in the passive:
1. My car / damage / last night. (past) – My car was damaged last night.
2. This computer / make / in the USA. (present) – This computer is made in the USA.
3. The machines / make / in Scotland. (present)
4. The President / kill / last night. (past)
5. The money / change into dollars / at the bank. (present)
6. The parcel / post / yesterday. (past)
7. Cheese / make / from milk. (present)
8. The children / give / some food. (past)
9. The house / paint / every year. (present)
10. Several people / hurt / in an accident last night. (past)
1.5 Complete the sentences using one of these verbs in the correct form – Present Simple or Past Simple:
cause , damage, hold, include, invite, make, overtake, show, translate, write
1. Many accidents are caused by dangerous driving.
2. Cheese ____ ____ from milk.
3. The roof of the building ____ ____ in a storm a few days ago.
4. There's no need to leave a tip. Service ____ ____ in the bill.
5. You ____ ____ to the wedding. Why didn't you go?
6. A cinema is a place where films ____ ____.
7. In the United States, elections for President ____ ____ every four years.
8. Originally the book ____ ____ in Spanish and a few years ago it ____ ____ into English.
9. We were driving along quite fast but we ____ ____ by lots of other cars.
1.6 Put the verb into the correct form, present simple or past simple, active or passive:
1. It's a big factory. Five hundred people are employed (employ) there.
2. Water __________ (cover) most of the Earth's surface.
3. Most of the Earth's surface __________ (cover) by water.
4. The park gates __________ (lock) at 6.30 p.m. every evening.
5. The letter __________(post) a week ago and it __________ (arrive) yesterday.
6. The boat __________ (sink) quickly but fortunately everybody __________ (rescue).
7. Ron's parents _____ (die) when he was very young. He and his sister __________ (bring) up by their grandparents.
8. I was born in London but I __________ (grow) up in the north of England.
9. While I was on holiday, my camera __________ (steal) from my hotel room.
10. While I was on holiday, my camera __________ (disappear) from my hotel room.
11. Why __________ (Sue/resign) from her job? Didn't she enjoy it?
12. Why __________ (Bill/sack) from his job? What did he do wrong?
13. The company is not independent. It _________ (own) by a much larger company.
14. I saw an accident last night. Somebody __________ (call) an ambulance but nobody __________ (injure) so the ambulance __________ (not/need).
15. Where _________ (these photographs/take)? In London? _____ (you/take) them?
1.7 Write passive sentences choosing the correct tense:
1. Chinese (speak) in Singapore.
2. These computers (make) in Korea.
3. The Taj Mahal (build) around 1640.
4. Passengers (ask) not to speak to the driver.
5. The new hospital (open) next year.
6. She (interview) now.
7. Sorry about the noise - the road (mend).
8. I realised I (follow).
9. The village church (burn down) last year.
10. (you invite) to Andy's party?
1.8 Fill in the Past Continuous Passive or the Past Perfect Passive:
1. They didn't leave the restaurant until the bill had been paid (pay).
2. I couldn't go to my favourite cafe for a drink. It __________ (redecorate).
3. He __________ (take) to the hospital when the ambulance crashed.
4. The search was called off. The escaped criminal __________ (find).
5. When I looked for my television set I couldn't find it. I had forgotten it __________ (repair).
6. By the time I returned from work, my new washing machine __________ (deliver).
7. I didn't go to her party because I ___________ (not/invite).
Дата: 2018-11-18, просмотров: 699.