The United Kingdom
1. The official name of the country we usually call "England" and occasionally "Great Britain" is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The United Kingdom is situated on the group of islands lying just off the mainland of north-western Europe. The British Isles include Great Britain, Ireland and a number of smaller islands. The total area of the British Isles is 325 000 square km.
2. Many ages ago the British Isles formed a part of the continent. The rocky highlands of Scotland, for example, resemble the Norwegian coast. Another evidence that the islands were the part of the continent is the shallowness of the water between them and the mainland.
3. Now Great Britain is separated from the continent by the English Channel, the narrowest part of which is called the Strait of Dover. The British Isles are surrounded by the shallow waters of the Irish Sea and the North Sea, the Norwegian Sea, the North Channel and the Atlantic Ocean.
4. There are wild desolate mountains in the northern Highlands of Scotland. The Pennine Range in northern England and the Cambrian Mountains in Wales are much lower.
5. The rivers of the region are short and of no great importance as waterways. The longest of them is "the Father of London", the Thames, which is a little over 200 miles. Britain’s principal ports are London, Liverpool, Manchester and Glasgow.
XII. Ответьте на вопросы по тексту .
1. What is the official name of the country we call Great Britain?
2. Is United Kingdom situated on the mainland?
3. What are the evidences that the Islands were part of the continent?
4. What is the Strait of Dover?
5. What are the British Isles surrounded by?
I. Раскройте скобки , употребляя глаголы в Present Perfect или Past Perfect.
1. You (wear) your hair long when you were at school? – Yes, my mother (insist) on it. But when I (leave) school I (cut) my hair and (wear) it short ever since.
2. When he (arrive)? – He (arrive) at 2.00.
3. I can’t go out because I (not finish) my work.
4. The manager just (sign) the papers.
5. Mary (leave) home at 8.00 and (get) at twelve.
II . Прочитайте текст. Выпишите предложения, в которых употреблен Present Perfect , переведите их, задайте вопросы к ним .
For 70 years Emilio’s life has changed very little. When he was 22, he married his childhood sweetheart, Pilar, from the next village, and they have been happily married ever since. Two years ago they celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. It was a big celebration. Everybody from miles around was there, including Emilio and Pilar, six children and their fifteen grandchidren.
III . Переведите следующие предложения, правильно употребив временные формы.
1. Как только она сварила кофе, отключили электричество.
2. Джордж был взволнован, так как получил телеграмму из дому.
3. Когда я вернулся в купе, я понял, что мой сосед уже сошел.
4. Врач сказал, что ребенок простудился.
5. Когда путешественник нашел гостиницу, уже стемнело.
IV . Ответьте на вопросы письменно, употребив Future Perfect .
1. Have they finished their preliminary training? (by the end of the year)
2. Have you filled all the copies? (by the end of the working day, all of them)
3. Has your sister returned yet? (by the end of the month)
V. Составьте мини - диалоги , употребив Present Perfect или Present Perfect Continuous.
|A.||– You (hear) the news?|
|– What’s news?|
|– Someone (rob) the bank at the end of the road.|
|B.||– You (hear) from your friend lately?|
|– My friend (write) to me for years but he never (send) me a photo.|
VI. Раскройте скобки , употребив Past Indefinite или Past Continuous, Past Perfect или Past Perfect Continuous. Переведите предложения на русский язык .
1. We think of democracy as a modern invention, but in fact the world’s most perfect democracy probably (exist) in Ancient Athens in 500 B.C. – if you (be) not a woman or a slave.
2. Ann was worn out. The baby (cough) all night and she (not to get) any sleep.
3. She said she (try) to phone me since morning. But nobody was at home.
Дата: 2018-12-21, просмотров: 289.