Exercise 1. Read and learn the following words and expressions:
|2.||a sea-going or marine engineer||судовой механик|
|3.||an electrical engineer||инженер-электрик|
|4.||power-plant maintenance||эксплуатация силовых установок|
|5.||motion and ship control||качка и управление судном|
|6.||strength of ship||прочность корабля|
|7.||marine turbines||судовые турбины|
|8.||propulsion system||силовая установка|
|10.||apprenticeship||курс обучения или профессионально-технической подготовки (плавпрактика)|
|11.||Ship Power Plant Maintenance||Эксплуатация судовых установок|
Maritime Shipping Technologies - Морские технологии судоходства
Exercise 2. Read and translate the text.
My Special Field
The name of our faculty is Marine Technologies and Navigations. Department which is one of the most popular in our Sevastopol National Technical University. The department consists of three faculties, including Navigation and Ship Power, and it trains not only specialists in the fields of Navigation and Ship Power Plant Maintenance, but also the engineers of different specialties: sea-going or marine engineers, electrical engineers, specialists for shipbuilding industry.
The students work hard on many subjects necessary for their future profession: Physics, High Maths, Strength of Materials and Theoretical Mechanics. The future engineers study Power-plant Maintenance, Motion and Ship’s Control, Strength of Ship, Marine Turbines and a lot more. As marine engineers they should know how to operate and maintain the propulsion and other systems onboard the vessel as well as carry out all repair functions onboard. Engineers are running and maintaining all machinery. They are generally more hands on and work with temperatures in the engine room spaces exceeding 45 - 50 degrees Celsius (122 degrees Fahrenheit).
The future navigators study the following subjects such as Marine Law, Navigation, Sailing Directions, Basics of Ships Steering, Astronomy, Global Marine Satellite System (GMSS) and Navigational Aids Maintenance. Before they become a navigator, the students will work as seamen. They will keep watch on the navigating bridge, paint, wash and scrub deck and complete the orders.
As shipping is an international industry, both future engineers and navigators will call at many foreign ports. For this reason they are also taught the English language to be able to communicate properly in case of necessity or urgency (emergency).
Exercise 3. Answer the following questions:
1. What is the name of your faculty?
2. What is your specialty?
3. What are the main subjects you study at the University?
4. When will you have your practical training? What is the main task of it?
5. What are the most important things you should know?
6. What do the marine engineers/future navigators do?
7. Why should you master your English skills?
Exercise 4. Give equivalents:
· in Russian: Sailing Directions; machinery space; GMSS, an electrical engineer, Strength of Material; bunkering operation, galley and laundry, mechanical equipment; to keep watch, officer-in-charge, to relieve each other of the watch; electrician; in the case of urgency;
· in English: вахта в машинных отделениях, служба эксплуатации, вахтенный (судовой) журнал, управлять, эксплуатация навигационных приборов, осушительная система, заводить (механизмы), эксплуатация силовых установок, быть ответственным за что-либо, быть подчиненным кому-либо, основы управления судном, теоретическая механика.
Exercise 5. Continue the following sentences:
1. My department is called … and consists of… .
2. The future navigators/engineers study the following subjects… .
3. We call navigators/engineers according to their rank … .
4. Every navigator/engineer must know… .
5. At first the future engineers/navigators usually work as … .
6. The engine department is headed by … .
7. A Chief Engineer subordinates only to the … .
8. … should know how to operate and maintain the propulsion and other systems onboard the vessel as well as carry out all repair functions onboard.
9. Motormen maintain … in the machinery spaces.
10. Deck hands participate in….
11. The master is responsible for … .
12. The chief officer in the absence of the master is ….
13. … keeps the Deck Officer’s log book.
14. … paint, wash and scrub deck.
Дата: 2018-12-21, просмотров: 173.