1) We… (see, saw, shall see) new animals in the zoo last Sunday.
2) I … (phone, phoned, shall phone) him next week.
3) Max’s uncle … (went, goes, will go) to New York in three months.
4) When I was on holidays in Tunisia, I (lose, shall lose, lost) my way to the hotel.
5) Granny … (played, plays, will play) computer games yesterday.
6. Перекладіть наступні речення.
1) Я дивися цей фільм минулого тижня.
2) Минулого місяця ми читали багато цікавих розповідей англійською мовою.
3) Торік ми часто ходили в зоопарк по неділях.
4) Я не гратиму в теніс після уроків.
5) Я не буду купувати квиток на літак, я поїду поїздом.
Оберіть правильну відповідь.
1 )… Jane Smith (speak) English?
A) Is … speak
B) Does …speak
C) Do … speak
2) The Browns … a nice house in the country/
A) has got
B) have got
3) …you (like) swimming?
A) Do you like
B) Does you like
C) Are you like
4) The population of our city ( reach) one million by 2015.
B) will reach
C) is reaching
5) We ( not/have) a holiday last year.
A) didn’t have
B) haven’t had
C) hadn’t have
6) …Pete … any beer in the fridge?
A) Does Pete have
B) Do Pete has
C) Have Pete got
The mass media play an important part in our lives. Newspapers, radio and especially TV inform us of what is going on in this world and give us wonderful possibilities for education and entertainment. They also influence the way we see the world and shape our views.
Of course, not all newspapers and TV programmes report the events objectively, but serious journalists and TV reporters try to be fair and provide us with reliable information.
It is true that the world today is full of dramatic events and most news seems to be bad news. But people aren’t interested in ordinary events. That is why there are so many programmes and articles about natural disasters, plane crashes, wars, murders and robberies. Good news doesn’t usually make headlines. Bad news does.
Some people say that journalists are given too much freedom. They often intrude on people’s private lives. They follow celebrities and print sensational stories about them which are untrue or half true. They take photos of them in their most intimate moments. The question is – should this be allowed?
The main source of news for millions of people is television. People like TV news because they can see everything with their own eyes. And that’s an important advantage. Seeing, as we know, is believing. Besides, it’s much more difficult for politicians to lie in front of the cameras than on the pages of newspapers.
Still, many people prefer the radio. It’s good to listen to in the car, or in the open air, or when you do something about the house.
Newspapers don’t react to events as quickly as TV, but they usually provide us with extra detail, comment and background information.
The Internet has recently become another important source of information. Its main advantage is that news appears on the screen as soon as things happen in real life and you don’t have to wait for news on TV.
1. Do the media play an important part in your life?
2. If people have died in a plane crash, should their bodies be shown on TV?
3. How do paparazzi earn their living?
4. What is the main advantage of the Internet?
3. Заповніть пропуски відповідною формою дієслова to be: am , is або are .Перекладіть речення на українську мову.
1) Where … London? It … in England.
2) What …her sister’s name? Her name … Svitlana.
3) The children …at school.
4) …there pictures on the walls of your classroom?
5) What … you? I … a first year student of Donbas State Technical University.
1) Americans have got a lot of pets.
2) We never have quarrels.
3) Granny always has a cup of chamomile tea in the evening.
4) My dog always has fun playing football with us.
5) I usually have a shower in the morning.
1) Victor’s sister …( don’t, doesn’t) study at the university.
2) The mass media … (plays, play) an important part in our lives.
3) Last year my elder sister …( talk, talked, talks) on the telephone to her numerous friends very often.
4) There …( won’t, aren’t, were not) tickets for the concert yesterday.
5) He … (come, came, will come) back and we … ( shall listen, listened, listen ) to his funny stories very soon.
1) Сподіваюся, я не загублюся. Я спитаю когось, як дістатися туди.
2) У мене є двоюрідний брат в Австралії.
3) Тато приніс мені нову книгу про комп’ютери.
4) Я повернувся додому о другій годині.
5) Восени часто йде дощ.
1.) They can’t go out because they … rain-coats and umbrellas.
A) have got
B) aren’t have
C) don’t have
2) Don’t give him cigarettes. He (not/smoke).
A) isn’t smoke
B) doesn’t smoke
C) don’t smokes
3) I visited Brazil in April. I (stay) at a nice hotel for a fortnight.
C) shall stay
4) There isn’t a cloud in the sky, but it (be) cloudy in the morning.
5) - Do you often see Tom?
- Not often, but I (see) him at the party the other day.
6) We haven’t got much time, …?
A) …, do we?
B) …, don’t we?
C) …, haven’t we?
Life in the 21st Century
We’ve entered a new era: the twenty-first century. Of course, it’s exciting and we are trying to predict what our life will be like in the future. It will certainly become better – I’m sure of it.
Robots will do all the dangerous and dirty work for us and our daily life will become easier. They’ll sweep the floor, dust the furniture, wash the dishes and even cook! It doesn’t mean we’ll become lazier, no. When everything is automated, we’ll be able to do more creative jobs.
We’ll be able to call our friends on a videophone and type up homework by talking to a small gadget that understands the human voice.
Scientists (or probably computers?) will find solutions to our most urgent problems. People will stop dying from cancer and AIDS and will live to be 150 years old. There will be no more famine on our planet and no more hungry children.
Our cities will become cleaner, greener and safer. We’ll drive electric cars and live in houses with lots of plants and special air-cleaning gadgets. Atmospheric pollution will be stopped and our planet will be saved.
There will be no more wars, no more criminals and no more terrorists. People will learn to live in peace and understand each other.
We’ll have more free time and longer holidays. We’ll be able to travel in space and – who knows? – one day we’ll be able to spend our holidays on Mars.
I’m really optimistic about the future. After all, we are becoming wiser. The superpowers are disarming; governments are waking up to Green issues…
Anyway, it’s up to us to look after our planet and try to make it a better place to live.
1. Дайте відповідь на запитання :
1) What will robots do for us?
2) What’s the difference between a telephone and a videophone?
3) Will our planet become cleaner or more polluted?
4) Pessimists say that one day we’ll have to pay for clean air just like we do now for clean water. Do you think it’s possible?
2. Заповніть пропуски відповідною формою дієслова to be: am , is або are .Перекладіть речення на українську мову:
5) The Browns … nice people.
6) There … nothing to be seen.
7) I …trying to choose the topic for my essay.
8) The problem … worth solving.
9) Why … you so rushing about?
1) He has a lot of experience.
2) They had late supper tonight.
3) She usually has a rest after dinner.
4) Helen often has a chat with Robert.
5) We have a lot of fun after work.
1) Tomorrow it … ( will be, was, is) be cold and wet.
2) When …( saw, did see, will see) Ann last?
3) They usually … ( do, did, will do) written exercises in class.
4) The manager …( sign, signed, will sign) contracts tomorrow.
5) They always …(made, will make, make) fun of him.
1) Дівчатка не люблять грати в хокей.
2) Його дядько водить таксі.
3) У них не буде досить часу для цього.
4) Він не зателефонує нам сьогодні ввечері.
5) Кого ви зустріли на концерті?
1) When Jill (finish) school?
A) When does Jill finish
B) When did Jill finish
C) When finished
2) When I was a child, I (always/be) late for school.
A) am late
B) was late
C) were late
3) Mrs. Clay (go) shopping every day.
C) will go
4) Will you be here next weekend?
A) No, I won’t
B) No, I don’t
C) No, I’m not
5) Do you like hot tea?
A) Yes, I’d like
B) Yes, please
C) Yes, I do
6) My husband (speak) to his boss last week.
A) did speak
1. Прочитайте та перекладіть українською мовою весь текст. Перепишіть та письмово перекладіть з 1-го по 5-й абзаци тексту :
Protection of Environment
Since ancient times Nature has served Man, being the source of his life. For thousand of years people lived in harmony with environment. But with the development of civilization man’s interference with nature began to increase.
Large cities with thousands of smoky industrial enterprises appear all over the world today. They pollute the air we breathe, the water we drink, the land we live in.
Many cities suffer from smog. Vast forests are cut and burn in fire. As s result some rare species of animals, birds, fish and plants disappear forever, a number of rivers and lakes dry up.
Human activities such as farming and industry create pollution by releasing poisonous chemicals into the atmosphere, soil, and water. Species with little tolerance to such pollutants may be threatened. Sometimes catastrophic accidents that release large amounts of oil, toxic gases, or radioactive waste can have immediate and disastrous effects on wildlife. The burning of wood and fossil fuels to produce energy may have long-term effects on the carbon dioxide content of the atmosphere – possibly affecting the climate in an adverse way. Other experiments in climate control might have unpredictable effects on the world’s ecology.
The introduction of species from different parts of the world into ecology can have a disastrous effect on local species and may result in the extinction of those that are unable to compete or those that become predated upon.
Environmental protection is a universal concern. That is why serious measures to create a system of ecological security should be taken. Some progress has been already made in this direction. As many as 159 countries – members of the UNO – nave set up environmental protection agencies.
Numerous conferences have been held by these agencies to discuss questions of ecologically poor regions including the Aral Sea, the South Urals, Kuzbass, Donbass, Semipalatinsk and Chernobyl. An international environmental research centre has been set up on Lake Baikal. The international organization Greenpeace is also doing much to preserve the environment.
The Earth is our Home. We must take care of it for ourselves and next generations.
2) Дайте відповідь на запитання :
1) What kind of human activities creates pollution?
2) Why did man’s interference with nature begin to increase?
3) How many countries have already set up environmental protection agencies?
4) Why must we rake care of the Earth?
3) Заповніть пропуски відповідною формою дієслова to be: am , is або are .Перекладіть речення на українську мову :
1) I … am against going there.
2) He … starting a cold.
3) They … not interested in politics.
4) A great number of books … in bad condition because the building of the library needs repairing.
5) I can wait, four weeks … not so long.
4) Перекладіть речення українською мовою. Пам’ ятайте про те, що в сталих виразах дієслово to have втрачає своє основне значення “ мати (щось)» :
1) She has a bath every day.
2) She has got a lot of jewelry.
3) They have a lot of rare plants in their garden.
4) We have got a lot of problems now.
5) The President has a bad cold.
5) Заповніть пропуски одним із поданих у дужках дієслів. Перекладіть речення українською мовою :
1) Peter …(speaks, speak) English as well as Ann … (speak, speak).
2) The child … (go, will go, goes) to school every day.
3) Richard’s life in Paris was a bit difficult. He …(speaks, speak, spoke) only English.
4) The building of the trade centre …(begin, began, will begin) a month ago.
5) The postman …(brought, bring, will bring) the morning mail only at 10 o’clock yesterday.
6) Перекладіть наступні речення:
1) Мій батько зазвичай миє нашу машину по неділям.
2) Але минулого тижня він помив нашу машину в п’ятницю.
3) Якщо в мене буде словник, я допоможу тобі перекласти цю статтю про комп’ютери.
4) Коли ти зателефонуєш мені?
5) Ти часто ходиш у кіно?
7) Оберіть правильну відповідь:
1) There’s no doubt that computers have … our lives easier.
2) You’ll be here tomorrow, …?
A) isn’t it
B) won’t you
C) will you
D) will you be
3) There was … to eat and drink after the party.
B) lot of
C) a lot
D) lots of
4) …that strange man sitting over there?
5) A kangaroo has such strong legs … it can jump over a car.
B) so as
6) Does he know… foreign languages?
B) some of
Дата: 2018-11-18, просмотров: 300.